I’ve been lousy about updating. And, I can’t promise that I’ll be much better in the future. But, a lot has happened over the last year and a bit, so I’ll at least do a quick run-down of some of the highlights.
- Spent seven weeks in Berlin as part of a really cool program organized by the German Foreign Office for “young” diplomats.
- Traveled to Istanbul, Bucharest, Amsterdam, Luxembourg City, Madrid, and Split for fun.
- Traveled to Berlin, Hamburg, Stuttgart, and Munich for work.
- Covered for my boss for three months while she was out on maternity leave.
- Also covered for two of our locally engaged staff who were out for significant parts of that time.
- Got promoted (finally).
- Visited my host families in Belgium.
- Worked my first Secretary of State visit.
- Worked the Vice President’s first trip overseas as VP.
- Worked a ridiculous number of other visits.
- Wrote some cables.
- Went home to Texas twice.
Looking forward, I have a couple of trips planned in the next couple of months and some thoughts about some other travel goals for my last year or so here. My boss will rotate back to DC and her successor will arrive this summer. I’ll bid on my next assignment this fall. And, I’m sure plenty of other stuff will pop up.
If the motivation strikes, I may write up some of what’s happened over the last year in more detail, but sadly can’t guarantee I’ll get around to it. But I’ll at least try not to wait another year to update this thing. 😛
Filed under Amsterdam, Belgium, Berlin, Bidding, Bucharest, Croatia, Family, Frankfurt, Germany, Hamburg, Holidays, Home, Istanbul, Luxembourg, Luxembourg City, Madrid, Munich, Pictures, Romania, Spain, Split, Stuttgart, Texas, Texpat, The Netherlands, Travel, Turkey, Vacation
Well, true to form, I’ve been bad about updating my blog. The last three months have been pretty busy and I’ve had a chance to do some traveling, too. And, I had my first visitors!
October continued to be quite busy with official U.S. government visitors, primarily from DC, but also from Berlin. In November, the consulate’s Marine Security Guards held their annual ball and I went to Brussels, Belgium for training. December was a bit slower, as both U.S. and German contacts were on vacation for much of the time.
Christmas was really, really nice. My mom came to visit for about 10 days and we made it to three different Christmas markets, did some sightseeing in and around Frankfurt, and also visited Munich for a couple of days. My aunt also came for a couple of days.
And, on New Years’ weekend, a friend of mine from Ciudad Juarez, who is now posted in Berlin, came to visit and we did some sightseeing in and around Frankfurt.
So, it’s been a busy few months and I’m still very much enjoying my tour here in Frankfurt.
Without further ado, here are some pictures from the last couple of months.
Munich’s Christmas Market
Frankfurt’s Christmas Market
Brussels City Hall
USMC Birthday Ball
Downtown Frankfurt at Night
Filed under Belgium, Berlin, Brussels, Christmas, Ciudad Juarez, Family, Frankfurt, Friends, Germany, Holidays, Mexico, Moving, Munich, Pictures, Thanksgiving, Winter